Saturday, February 25, 2012

What's the difference between Skyrim and Oblivion? What makes one so bad and the other so good?

I've played both and I really hated Oblivion but then I play Skyrim and it was just awesome, yet they both seem so similar.

Is it the graphics or the mechanics of the whole thing?

In Oblivion, the bow and arrow was just a waste of my space but in Skyrim I'd have it out most of the time.

Please someone help me figure it out.What's the difference between Skyrim and Oblivion? What makes one so bad and the other so good?
I have them both - I played and finished Oblivion and I'm many hours into Skyrim. I feel that Oblivion had more interesting "dungeon crawl" areas and the map was more diverse, but that doesn't mean Skyrim isn't interesting and full of places to explore. In Skyrim, I feel the leveling system is way better. You don't have to sleep to level, you do it right at the moment you level up. You also don't have to choose and stick with a handful of specialty abilities - whatever you use improves your level in that ability, and you can choose perks wherever you want. You also have companions that can come with you that follow and fight with you and carry stuff for you if you overcapacity your inventory - this was not an Oblivion option. I like having them around except for in tight spaces where they are just in the way. Smithing and enchanting and other creation/enhancement activities as more more individualized and involved, which some people may like more, some less. The dragons are a really cool addition, and they pop up in random places like oblivion gates did in the last one. The menus are a little different and I don't remember if Oblivion allowed 2 handed spells but Skyrim does. I thought the bow/arrow was a big waste of time in Oblivion, but I use it all the time in Skyrim. Sneak arrowing people rules. You can be a werewolf in Skyrim...and I can't think of anything else right now. Graphics for Skyrim are way better and I have experienced less glitching.
Its Gameplay. its the overall feel of the game your playing. if I were to analyze the games and break them down the way I see them? well first things first is the speed of motion. the character movement is faster paced the jumping is more crisp the magic feels more forceful. faster projectiles, quicker animation brighter flashes etc. the magic in oblivion i remember what it felt like when casting every spell:

watching my characters hands slowly push out. then a pop of the spell effect....its was very "muted". as far as the weapons? well the finishing move replays are obviously appealing. it helps you visualize the character you have created. its really fun. the design of the leveling is LIGHT YEARS better than oblivion. the dozens of perks to choose from although somewhat sparse and bland, is still much more robust than oblivion.



ive pumped a few hundred hours into both games and this is what I observe. basically any aspect of Oblivion was taken and improved and shoved into Skyrim and thats the way game design should operate. If i were involved with making skyrim in any way ...and im talking ANY way...if i was the friggen janitor i would be playing the game and beside me would be a note pad. and every thing I noticed that I saw a way to realistically improve i would write it down. more weapon and armor models for example......actually im gonna start wrting more about this game becuase I enjoy it SO much...What's the difference between Skyrim and Oblivion? What makes one so bad and the other so good?
Bethesda made a large jump into making Skyrim from Oblivion, some in my opinion are major graphics, audio, huge number of hours in gameplay...the list goes on.



In Oblivion, you would choose seven major skills to level up (you could also level up your minor skills, but they wouldn't progress your primary level). Skyrim gives you the opportunity to use all your skills instead of making another character to play with them. There are also several other things you can do that aren't necessarily skills, per se, but will help you level up and play around with those skills, e.g. you can use Alchemy to poison your arrow tip or blade to make yourself more lethal.



There is also a great expanse in the geography of the game, such as caves and mines, and there are much more NPC's that are more involved in your legacy, not just a bunch of people that set the scene. Skyrim also gives you more freedom of what you want to do, not that Oblivion didn't, it just didn't have as much a "variety", so you would stick more to what quests you were on.





Conclusion: As above, Bethesda did make great changes between the games. The graphics and mechanics are improved, but it also puts in some more fantastical features to make you feel more suited-in to the game, which, isn't that what you want if you bought these games?
I liked both.

Oblivion Alchemy: Confusing, complicated, not fun

Skyrim Alchemy: Simplified for the better. Add one, two, three ingredients and presto!



Oblivion Lockpicking: LOL minigame time!

Skyrim Lockpicking: More realistic feeling



Oblivion NPCs: Random animations! Random conversations! The same hairstyle!

Skyrim NPCs: Characterization, realistic conversations, you cant just -walk- into their house when theyre home.



Obl Graphics: Cartoonie. Blue Dunmer, really? Shrek Orcs?

Skyrim Graphics: More gritty. More realistic overall.



My only gripes: I cant clear out my inventory as easily (Damn merchants! Am I your ONLY customer???) And its a b*tch to pick up an item and set it down on a table or something. In oblivion if you wanted to grab something by a corner, you could. In Skyrim, NOOOPE. And NPCs keep knocking crap off tables..and I cant fix it! Grr!



Also Dunmers look like aliens. This is particularly noticable when you get to Windhelm and they start calling them "Grey Skins". I had an unshakable image of the gray aliens aftereards. And I play a Dunmer...What's the difference between Skyrim and Oblivion? What makes one so bad and the other so good?
Things I think are better in Skyrim:



Lockpicking



the overall character information interface, lets face it Oblivion was clumsy at best



the NPC variety



the graphics, natch



the music, I don't think anyone would argue that



THings I miss about Oblivion:



being able to gradually run faster and jump farther



vendors who have enough money to buy all my loot! This is by far the most annoying thing about Skyrim... when I come back into town from dungeon crawling I have to visit every shop in three cities just to sell my stuff, Grrrr!!
Aside from Skyrim looking better, and having an awesome engine like the creation engine, I think its the reaticions, in oblivion in most cases it was two people wailing on each other, either doing huge amounts of damage, have huge amounts done to you.



The combat in Skyrim is 1stly, more balanced.

2ndly, its a lot more reactive that oblivion.
Well, the thing with the Elder Scrolls is, you can hate one game, and love the next. And vice versa. Believe me, I've played all of them. The reason is, they update combat between literally each one. Plus, the landscape changes drastically. Along with new enemies, weapons, and characters. So, if you hate one Elder Scrolls game, buy the next.
Well I think you're completely right. I hated Oblivion too, but then I saw the Dragons, Mammoths, Giants and the graphics and I was just WOWED!

I think as a gamer that the story between them two doesn't matter, but the graphics do! I can't play them games with poor graphics no more.



I hope I helped you (:
to me the bad things about oblivion where how gay some of the npcs acted, the repetitive caves and forts, and the leveled thing where you cant get anything good or fight any good monsters til you are high level. other than that i liked the game. i also liked morrowind. skyrim is great but the character creator sucks.
I agree oblivion did really suck, as soon as I got out of the sewers I would be wowed with shitness... But then in skyrim... The graphics were great and it felt like I was really there! The action is awesome with the blood splating all over ur armor and the mammoths charging u down lol its so funny when those witches look at ya they look like a ******* bird hahaha! It's an awesome game is like the best game I have ever played! I just ****** love it to bits I'm always on it:)
I would think that Skyrim is better because of the dragons, shouts, realistic graphics, better modelling on a lot of things in the game, and the many improvements to your skills. Or maybe the brain finds this game better put together and makes it better for the brain to understand.
I agree that I hate Oblivion but love Skyrim, i think its because of the graphics, and everything. Skyrim just feels more realistic.
Morrowind%26gt;oblivion%26gt;skyrim%26gt;daggerfall%26gt;are鈥?the reason you like skyrim more that you're a graphics over everything else kind of guy
You Couldn't Play As A Werewolf in Oblivion But in Skyrim You can And you Get Better Mission And Powers
I liked Oblivion, better than skyrim.The difference? There is no difference, there both made by the same devoloper so they are the same style? just a bit better graphics?
skyrim is just more realistic and smoother and the environment feels different than oblivions
what? they are both good.
First thing I notice is the spelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment