Saturday, February 25, 2012

How good is skyrim for someone who has never played the elder scrolls series before?

I want skyrim for Christmas, but I wanted to know itd still be enjoyable without having played the past 4.|||Be prepared to be thrown into chaos! It's great, but if you have never played it before it will take lots of time to learn just how open the game is. The quests will have many different options and outcomes so be prepared.



Rule number 1:save often

Rule number 2: break up with your girlfriend, she will only get in the way of game time.

Rule number 3: stock up of TV dinners and Mountain Dew

Rule number 4: practice calling in sick for work....if your still in school practice being sick

Rule number 5: save again



And the final rule is to repeat steps 1-5|||if you've never player before i recommend u pick up a copy of morrowind and oblivion at least so u can understand what some of the characters are talking about and even if you have never player skyrim is a game you will pick up go home and start playing and wont be heard form for months. =P

Report Abuse


|||Don't get Arena. It's too primitive. Daggerfall is optional; more sophisticated than Arena, but buggy. Morrowind is the first really well-done game in the series. Oblivion is very good also. And Skyrim has a great story, great concept, great graphics. However, Skyrim also has a few problems...

Report Abuse


|||The loading time for the next place you go to can be long (about 3-5 minutes). And you can find quest items before you get the quest that calls for you to get that item. If you pick it up, then you can't finish the quest and you can't release the item, which might have weight and slow you down.

Report Abuse


|||Skyrim is still a great game, but you have to be careful and you have to know what not to do, so you won't get into trouble with game bugs and maybe break the quests. It's easy to make a mistake. I recently picked up a quest dagger, and I don't yet know if it will force me to restart the whole game.

Report Abuse


|||Another thing that's wrong with Skyrim is you can't take off the female characters' underwear. You definitely ought to be able to make some of the more annoying female characters walk about in the nude and get laughed at by everybody.

Report Abuse


|||That's probably the best answer I've ever seen.

Report Abuse


|||Hi, my name is Katie and I am a Skyrim addict *twitch*. :D



I'm a huge Fallout fan, loved playing the games and played them until I reached 100% completion. Being unemployed and unsure of what to do with myself and time, I tried looking for a new game to play. A friend of mine suggested I try playing one of the Elder Scrolls games, Oblivion. I think I played the game for about 15 minutes and lost interest. I don't know if it was because I wasn't in the mood or what.. But I never picked it up again or gave it another thought.



Then, Skyrim came out. I couldn't really understand what all the hype was about. Maybe I couldn't be super excited about it because I had never played any of the others games in the series. To make a long story short, when the game came out I found myself alone and without friends. ALL of them were playing Skyrim.



About a day after the game was released, I caved. I gave into the pressure. I just HAD to know what was so amazing about this game. And you know what's amazing about it? Everything. I fell in love with the graphics- The sky and the aurora borealis is beautiful- I don't know, maybe it's a girl thing hah. And some of the weapons are pretty bad *** too. Not to mention you can enchant your weapons as well as your armor and make them absolutely ridiculous. I started out a little rough at the beginning of the game since I was new to everything and had absolutely no clue what to do, but you learn as you go. Make sure you save often, though the autosaves really do come in handy. At least for me they did.



Since I've had the game, I've clocked in at over 200+ hours. I have several characters made and I'm addicted. I can't stop playing it. So your answer to your question is this: Even if you haven't played the other games, you will definitely enjoy Skyrim. I most certainly did. It is now one of my favorite games ever and kind of makes me want to try and play the others.|||I started playing Skyrim a week ago, having never played any of the previous games. I don't know what I was expecting, but as an avid Fable-fan I guess I was hoping it would be like that. I guess in some ways, it was. After all, you get to modify your character, take him/her around this vast world, fighting bad guys and making decisions etc.





But...I know everyone is going to disagree with me but I actually hate Skyrim. I started it thinking I'd love it and get addicted but I have never been so frustrated with a game in my life.I do sort of pride myself on being a good gamer who can get used to controls pretty fast, but the amount of times I get killed because my character just can't find face the enemy is embarrassing. Both the game and it's instructions are very vague when it comes to how to level up your character, and how to fight etc. Firing a bow takes forever, and by the time you switch to sword you've probably been hit a few times. Also, more than a few times I have been killed by villagers because I have accidently stolen things from their home without realising it (again, bad controls!). Basically, it's a frustrating game to play and to me the confusing controls take away my enjoyment of all the many things Skyrim is great for (e.g. the awesome graphics). Then again, my friend feels the same about the controls but he loves it.





More to your question, I think the game is playable even if you haven't played the rest of the series, but be prepared to have no idea what to do. For example, at the very beginning you have to decide what race your character will be and you get about 10 possibilities. They tell you what advantages each have but seeing as you don't know what the game really involves yet, you will either have to ask online what is best or just pick one by guessing. The social framework is sometimes great, sometimes dumb. The game's background isn't properly explained either.





Really, I think if you are like me then no amount of bad reviews will stop you getting and playing it. And maybe you'll understand and love it way more than me, and I hope you do! But I just don't like it. I don't know if that has anything to do with having no Elder Scrolls experience before. I hope you love it, but be prepared to be unbelievably frustrated at points. :)|||it'll probably be easier for you to get into the controls of Skyrim since you haven't played any other games in the elder scrolls series. The reason being is that Skyrim is running on the creation engine while Oblivion and the past Elder Scrolls games have been playing on a different engine completely.|||Its an incredible game to get into. Its not to hard once you get your bearrings but its so worth it. Ive been gaming for about 30 years now and RPGs has been a love of mine since the late 80s with PC gaming, and Elder Scrolls came along eventually and have been giving me some of the greatest moments in gaming ever.





Get the game and enjoy. Its one of the best.





Also anyone that is looking to talk some games with me, by all means come check out my new game forum at www.gamingoutsiders.com, just a chill place to talk games.





Anyways, hope you get Skyrim and enjoy it...its a gem.|||The game is pretty complicated. It's not too hard though. There is a law system that you cannot break or else you will get into trouble. My friend who plays CoD thought you could do anything in Skyrim with no consequences. The entire town slaughtered him. The skill system is a bit advanced and it might be slightly difficult for new players to learn how to use. But if you want to know if you have to had played the past TES games to enjoy Skyrim, no. Each game has its own storyline not connected to the other ones.|||Get it!!! it will keep you warm through the winter and you can have the honour of being able to say you once played a tes game :P

I'd also suggest trying to get morrowind or oblivion, (morrowind i'd defonatly has a better story though) then you can get the morr(owind)obliv(ion)(skyr)im mod, so you can cross the border

But that wont be out for quite some time yet|||You really need no experience. At first, I was a little shaky on playing it since I've never been a huge fan of RPGs/ played (or even heard of) The Elder Scrolls, but it's such a deep, exciting game with great visuals and gameplay and everything. It really gets pretty addicting, to be honest. Once you get used to the controls and everything, they stick.





P.S.-Don't forget to save!|||I've not played a single elder scrolls game and got skyrim today, I enjoyed it so much I'm thinking about buying the others! I got it today and finished the tutorial and stopped playing, now I want to play so if you're into open games like that GET IT!|||When you start playing Skyrim, you may feel in a way no sense of direction. My advice is to do a lot of exploring and dungeon-crawling.


Talk to everybody in town to see if they have any problem, you'll never know what'll come up.|||I think if you liked the Fallout series, then you'll love Skyrim!





You could simply follow the main story/quests, but to be honest, you're better off wandering around %26amp; take in the whole world.|||It is awesome! but a ton of glitches my game keeps on freezing if i open anything I'm not touching....


like a door for instants if i don't make my character touch touch the door my game freezes 50% of the time....|||Actually... if you have never played any of the other Elder Scrolls games, it is 100x better than it would be if you played Oblivion before it. Your first taste of the Elder Scrolls is always the best.





-regards-|||i would say FANTASTIC!!!! i never played the past 4 and i jumped into skyrim and it was epic! i putted a lot of time into the game i recommend you to get it ! ;D|||I haven't played any of the previous elder scrolls and when I got Skyrim, I couldn't stop playing! The first day, I played for a straight 7 hours :) I recommend definitely getting it!|||I havan't played the other elder scrolls games. I love skyrim!!!! PS You gotta start on 1 game right?|||Mostly no connection to the past games youll love it trust me|||ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!! I bought it a few days ago and I frikkin LOVE IT!!! It is so cool! This is possibly the best game you'll ever find in the stores!|||Ya each one has a different unique story and there all different from each other skyrims set 200 years after the events of the elder scrolls 4: oblivion|||it is great i played one of the older ones and i hated it but i love this one|||You don't need to play the past ones. This game allows new players to play it without any experience.|||SAVE OFTEN. trust me. its my first elder scrolls game that i got for christmas and i was crushed to see my steel equipment taken away by guards =( (lol)|||Amazing.|||Getting Skyrim is not a question, its a statement! Don't even think twice...|||It's great

No comments:

Post a Comment